Making Custom villagers in Animal Crossing New Leaf Welcome Amiibo Tutorial

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by TheModHead, Nov 28, 2018.

1. TheModHead
    OP

TheModHead Newbie

Newcomer
    May 30, 2017
    United States
    Main
    (Note: Due to having files from the game, v1 was taken down. I am now working on trying to make v2. it slipped my mind that its illegal to have files from the romf included in the download)
    (Note2: I have also decided to become a New Leaf moder myself, as apparently villagers aren't well documented, so I'm now trying to document them, as I want this to be the best tutorial, thusly, I'm going to work very hard to make it the best one. Who knows? Maybe I'll find a way to add villagers, and in that case, I'd need to learn to save edit so I can add said new villagers to the town)
    Okay, I recently realized this was a thing, and so I tried it myself. So, to help others who want to do the same, I decided to try and make the best tutorial I could, along with making an entire kit to help you make your custom villager with ease.
    I'm still working on the pack, so so far,I've only made a template texture for the Rabbit/Bunny/Hair or what ever you want to call it, though I have included 1 of each animal in the pack for you to use.

This will be updated over time, as I want this to be the best tutorial for making a custom villager!

This pack also has an example villager named Patchs, as there wasn't enough room to keep the e. Patchs is my first custom villager, and is the thing that sparked the idea for this pack. You can find her in the pack in the "Examples" folder, along with a txt file telling you about her.

Anyways, here's what you'll need that isn't included in the pack (as I don't know if I'm allowed to include said files in it)
    Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo YOU NEED THE WELCOME AMIIBO VERSION, NOT THE UPDATE (the new carts have this version, and its downloadable on the E-Shop, just look for the leaf surrounded by white and amiibo splashes, that the one)(I've tried it on the original, and it doesn't work)
    Boot NTR: http://nashville-merchant-services.net/threads/release-bootntr-selector.432911/ (this lets us run plugins)
    Onion FS: http://nashville-merchant-services.net/threads/release...-plugin-fork-that-works-with-any-game.453218/ (This lets us use custom files)
    Ohana 3DS: http://nashville-merchant-services.net/threads/wip-ohana3ds-tool.392576/ (download from the dropbox links)
    Any hex editor, I'd recommend Frhed
    Any image editor (I'd recommend Medibang paint)

Also, in the pact is Ohana3DS rebirth, this was not made by me, it was made by gdkchan (from what I can tell), but I want to save you the trouble of compiling it, though if you want to, just go to the Ohana3DS page and follow the Github link.

Anyways, the pack includes the entire tutorial!

Oh yeah, if you'd like to, you can help me with this tutorial pack.
    If you know how to change the following things, please tell me:
    Personality,
    Gender,
    Birthday,
    initial clothes,
    preferred coffee,
    style,
    initial furniture,
    favorite saying,
    changing the icon (I know where it is, but how do I make a recompile the arc file?)

Oh yeah, could someone tell me what "STR_NNpc_name_ASR.umsbt" is for. It has all the villager names, but from what I can tell, "STR_NNpc_name.umsbt"
    is used by the game to determine the names of the villagers
    also, I would greatly appreciate any help with making the template textures, as the rabbit one took quite some time.
    Oh yeah, if you make a custom villager, I'd like to see it! I might even ask if I can include it as an example in this pack.

I will try to respond to any questions. Hopefully I don't forget about this, and just for good measure, I'm putting this on my home page.

Pack versions: V1, gets the job done. More complex than any guide I've been able to find, but defiantly doesn't have everything

Last edited by TheModHead, Nov 30, 2018
  2. Slattz

Slattz Easygoing Fairy

Nov 21, 2015
    Ireland
    I'm gonna be completely honest; There's so much wrong with the current state of this 'tutorial'.

Firstly, while OnionFS is technically fine, people generally now use Luma's LayeredFS for modding, as 1) NTR itself has tons of annoying issues, and 2) nearly everyone already has Luma CFW, so it's easier to make people use that.
    Also while the whole point of this is to be 'easy', etc, you should really be linking to the tools required and not including them directly in the pack, especially without the creator's consent.

Secondly, I see you're including files from the game's romfs directly in your pack. This is illegal as they're the property of Nintendo, and are certainly not allowed here on gbatemp. A way to avoid this is directing the user through GodMode9 to dump the game's files themselves, or, even better, creating a GM9 script to automatically dump ACNL's files.

Thirdly, you can easily mod any version of ACNL, regardless of if Welcome Amiibo came pre-installed or not. The difference is you may need to dump some files from the update rather than the base game itself.
    So the BOLD CAPS WARNING you have going on is really not accurate information at all.

Fourthly, there really isn't much info in this post at all in regards to making custom villagers, it all seems to be in your 'pack'. Which is fair enough, except (maybe this is just me) the info that is here is really hard to read, and generally all over the place. Some more attention to the formatting of the post would make it alot easier for people to follow, especially those not as 'technologically literate'.

Lastly, editing specifics about villagers such as initial clothes, birthday, coffee preference, etc, hasn't really been looked into by the community afaik, and so, isn't really possible atm. I assume "ConstPack.bin" or "Package.bin" are the files that contain this info, but seeing as they haven't really been looked into much, you'll need to do your own reverse engineering to actually achieve what you want to do.

Also, one thing to note: I hope you take all of this as constructive criticism and suggestions, I'm not trying to hate or anything like that. This can be a hard topic to try tackle, so, as a 'seasoned' ACNL Modder, I appreciate the effort. ^_^
    If you have any questions about ACNL's romfs file structure or ACNL Modding in general, feel free to DM me on Discord.

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx likes this.
  3. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    ive removed the Attached File can you do a version with out them and tell people how to get them with your tutorial.

because the content you have is copyrighted material. sorry.

Last edited by Flame, Nov 28, 2018
  4. TheModHead
    OP

TheModHead Newbie

Newcomer
    May 30, 2017
    United States
    Main
    Thank you for the feedback.
    I am aware that LumaCFW has a built in game patcher, though I'm not exactly sure how to use it. The reason I'm using OnionFS is because when I was making my first custom villager (Patchs) thats what I found worked, though I am going to find a way to use Luma instead.
    Also, the reason I said it only worked on the Welcome Amiibo version, and not the update is because I tried doing it on my original copy, though it ended up leading to a complete system crash, though thinking about it, that could have been a conflict between my other mod I was using.

Again thank you for the info, I am going to release a new version of the pack with better writting, and without the files from the romf, as I have no idea why I thought that was legal. (sorry if this was too professional, I'm not good at talking using computers and always over think things)