'Fortnite' developers to launch Steam competitor 'Epic Games Store'

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Dec 4, 2018.

Front-page
    epic games store.JPG

Developers of battle royale phenomenon Fortnite, Epic Games, are foraging in a new venture: digital games store. Epic Games has announced today that it will be launching its very own online PC and Mac games distribution platform called Epic Games Store. While Valve’s Steam store takes 20 to 30% of game revenue, the Epic Games Store will take only 12% and will grant the remaining 88% of sales revenue to the devs.

Talking to Variety about the news, founder and CEO of Epic Games Tim Sweeney had the following to say: “As a developer ourselves, we’ve always wanted access to a store with fair revenue-sharing that gives us direct access to our customers. Now that we’ve built such a store, and Fortnite has brought in a huge audience of PC gamers, we’re working to open it up to all developers.”

infographic.

In a similar fashion to Steam, the Epic Games Store will be accessible via a dedicated launcher and a website and will be open to games developed on any game engine. Given that it will be just starting off, the games library will initially be limited to a curated number of titles.

“We’re starting small, with a hand-picked set of games at launch,” Sweeney further added. “We plan to grow throughout early 2019 and open the store up more widely later on. We’ll have an approval process for new developers to go through to release a title. It will mostly focus on the technical side of things and general quality. Except for adult-only content, we don’t plan to curate based on developers’ creative or artistic expression. Epic will manually curate the Epic Games storefront rather than relying on algorithms or paid ads. We believe the ultimate vector for players to discover new games will not be our storefront but creators. Viewership of creator channels has greatly outgrown any storefront.”

Together with the store, the company is also launching the Support-A-Creator program which connects developers with over 10,000 creators from online video producers to streamers. This program further rewards creators for bringing exposure to game developers.

“Epic’s Support-A-Creator program was launched as a one-time event, but it’s now permanent and is available to all creators and all developers on the Epic Games store,” Sweeney said. “Creators will earn a share of revenue from each attributable sale, either by link or by manual creator tag entry, like in Fortnite. Developers will set the rate of the revenue share and Epic will pay the first 5% for the first 24 months. Developers will have immediate access to thousands of creators who can promote their titles in fun and entertaining ways, and they can automatically give creators free access to their game if they choose to.

“We believe this will make a more direct and sustainable connection between game developers and content creators such as streamers and video makers. There are currently more than 10,000 content creators in the program, with tens of millions of supporters, and that number is growing every day.”

There is no concrete release date for the Epic Games Store but it is expected to release "soon" with more details on upcoming game releases to be revealed at The Game Awards this Thursday.

:arrow: SOURCE

Discussion (90 replies)
  1. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2018
    Vietnam
    Yay

Another storefront for PC

We really needed that

Steam,Origin,Gog Galaxy,Uplay,Bethesda Launcher,Windows store were not enough

2. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Well, if this ain't curious.

Although I fear we might reach store saturation pretty soon. Every site needs it's own account, and unless they use common oauth, most folks aren't willing to register in a buttload of places.

Xzi and migles like this.
  3. DKB

DKB ...!

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Nice and all that they take less, but, fucking too much storefronts, my god. I ain't downloading 80 different programs.

migles likes this.
  4. Ren_Ambrose

Ren_Ambrose Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2018
    United States
    Valve: GUYS WE CUT THE AMOUNT OF EACH SALE WE MAKE PLEASE COME BACK DON'T MAKE YOUR OWN STOREFRONT
    Literally everyone else: lolno

Eddypikachu, migles and Galaxy☆Guy like this.
  5. The Minish LAN

The Minish LAN Professional Bitch

Sep 9, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Good. More storefronts that don't take a 30%+ cut from developers who make under $10million. Personally use Humble, sometimes itch.io.

6. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Addict

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    valve has nothing to worry about. compare it's user base and everyone else. Most people already own tons of games on it and although they might install another storefront, they would never leave steam.

7. Essometer

Essometer Needs data

Oct 22, 2010
    Germany
    Enger
    I like the thought process behind it: "We had one successful game, let's make a steam clone and fracture the market even further."

Last edited by Essometer, Dec 4, 2018
  8. Galaxy☆Guy

Galaxy☆Guy GBAtemp Regular

Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    I'm guessing you must use the new program to play fortnite and/or the current epic games launcher is what will be replaced

migles likes this.
  9. robingilh

robingilh GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    France
    not far from a computer
    And those posts above mine are the reason Steam will forever be the dominant game downloading plateform.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  10. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    Many have tried. No one has succeeded.

11. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Just because your game was a success, doesn't mean the same players will use your store. Steam will always be on top. Especially after they erased many restrictions.

Xeroyamil likes this.
  12. Ghassen-ga

Ghassen-ga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2016
    To be fair, competition is ALWAYS a good thing, for the consumer at least , so why would it bother you as an individual? it actually benifits us.

Rel, Bedel, Supster131 and 4 others like this.
  13. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    You forgot battle.net
    and humblebundle

edit: ninjas everywhere

Last edited by lordelan, Dec 4, 2018
    migles likes this.
  14. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    don't forget the humble bundle, they started with the bundles thing but now its a full store and publisher..
    there is also a billion others like gamersgate, green man something IIRC
    But you are probably talking about the PC clients that serve as DRM, download manager and game shop

in my opinion gog did it right, you get a totally optional client to manage your installed games.
    you dont require it in any form to download, install or play the games.
    but this "freedom" obviously costs them that only a tiny fraction of people have that installed :C

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

since we are adding, how about minecraft launcher? ;O; i dont know if it has a store, but you need it to play the game (unless obviously you modify it)

15. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's unofficial 蒸気イーブイ

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Can't really say I am excited about yet another digital game store. Their developer support programs 'n stuff seem nice but Steam has so many more services so I'll keep using it (plus having recently made the switch to Linux, I have to admit that Proton is a godsend. I wouldn't mind rebooting into Windows from time to time to play a game but of course running it directly on Linux is much better)

Still hey, I'm with @Ghassen-ga here: competition is always good. And while it already got one with Greenlight, all the asset flips, poor QC, etc... Valve kinda needs another wake up call, honestly.

CuriousTommy and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  16. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Not necessarily. Let's say that Epic suffers a data breach and your passwords and emails get leaked.

The overwhelming majority of people don't use a unique password for each site, so suddenly your passwords are lying out there in the open for each storefront.

17. Ghassen-ga

Ghassen-ga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2016
    what kind of a reasoning is that ? lol..
    steam could also suffer from a data breach or whatever which is very unlikely considering this is a giant corp we are talking about ;besides more competition means more choices > more games > reduced prices > more sales .

18. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Marina is best waifu

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Someone's getting a bit too big for their britches

Jayro and Darksabre72 like this.
  19. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol